My bookreviews and fanficrecommendations. You are welcome to comment. Please read the notes in the sidebar below! BeeLikeJ@gmail.com

Friday, April 25, 2008

Quick review: De Pianoman by Bernlef

De Pianoman
Author: Bernlef
Language: Dutch
Short summary and opinion: Inspired by a newspaper article about a man who washed up on the shores of England, this is the story of farmer son Thomas who meets the same fate. Thomas doesn't talk until he is three; his parents don't talk to each other. When he goes to school, teacher Jenny tries to interest him in language, but he prefers to be silent. The only time she manages to get him interested is when lets him play the piano. When Thomas is eighteen he leaves his abusive father and quiet mother and plans to travel. Thomas is very naive, so I didn't trust the people he meets along the way. I was right about some of them.
This is a lovely story and it went in a different direction than I suspected. What I like most of all was the comfortable way of writing. Now I understand why Bernlef is considered one of the best writers in The Netherlands. (When I was in highschool his debut was on everybody's readinglist but mine). I will gladly lend this book to anyone who missed it.
Rating: 8/10
Curious? This book was written for Dutch Bookweek, so it's not translated, but the awesome language has inspired me: I will now buy Bernlef's most famous book: Out Of Mind (Hersenschimmen) About a man suffering Alzheimer. I understand it's written from the main character's perspective. I'm told it's a must read.

FYI: I believe that newspaper story was also the inspiration for the very sweet film Ladies In Lavender with the lovely Dame Judy Dench, the marvelous Dame Maggie Smith and the adorable Daniel Brühl. Two elderly sisters find a young man on the beach in pre-war England. He doesn't speak English, but eventually they find a way to communicate.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home