My bookreviews and fanficrecommendations. You are welcome to comment. Please read the notes in the sidebar below! BeeLikeJ@gmail.com

Monday, March 9, 2009

Quick reviews: Nilgün Yerli & Hugo Claus

Title: Weg Van Nederland
(Away from/Nuts about The Netherlands)

Author: Nilgün Yerli
Genre: Short Story
Publisher: B for Books
Pages: Hardcover, 62
Language: Dutch
Rating: 6,5/10

Summary: A couple of columns and a short story written especially for this series of tiny booklets that are published to introduce people to reading. Nilgün Yerli tells us what it’s like living in The Netherlands, while not being born there.

Review
I was not impressed by these short stories. They read like essays for a school-assignment. A highschool-assignment. I didn’t learn anything new and insightful. A failed attempt to make me care.


Title: Een Slaapwandeling (Sleepwalking)
Author: Hugo Claus
Genre: Short Story
Publisher: De Bijenkorf 2000
Pages: Paperback, 73
Language: Dutch
Rating: 8/10

Summary: Luc is sleepwalking through the long hallways of his deteriorating mind. (I know. I’m sorry. Taken from the backcover;)

Review
It’s a good thing the title already explains Luc’s state of mind, otherwise this story would be very confusing. Although it starts rather normal with small talk in the kitchen, where he tells his wife about his morning. Meeting an old friend triggers memories and those force Luc to wander around through the past and present trying to find answers to questions long forgotten. (See, what this story made me do?) Well written and enjoyable, even if the structure feels a little ‘done before’.

Title: De Zwaardvis (The Swordfish)
Author: Hugo Claus
Genre: Short Story
Publisher: De Bezige Bij 1989
Pages: Paperback, 95
Language: Dutch
Rating: 7,5/10

Summary: A young divorcee and her messed up kid, a small town teacher and a drunk handyman, who used to be a respected veterinarian. Four points of view on the events during one slow summerday in the country. Someone has commited a crime, but it’s not clear who the real victim is.

Review
A reread from the eighties, that had left me apprehensive of Hugo Claus’ writing. I have forgotten why; I thought it was because of his foul language, but to my surprise this book has nothing of the shocking sort. Not that filth isn’t something I could have handled, but I remember labeling him as some kind of disgusting writer. Maybe my opinion was based on an interview, maybe i was just in a bad mood when I read the book back then. Either way: it’s time to admit my mistake.
This is an intruiging story about misunderstanding and lust. What a lovely combination. Not one character comes away with their behavior. I was especially hit by the thoughts of little kid Maarten, who is severely indoctrinated by a religious teacher (not the one telling part of the story). The way he regards his mother after learning about sin is very disturbing. But most of the characters left me a little shaken. Human nature at its worst. Just as I suspect people to be.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home