My bookreviews and fanficrecommendations. You are welcome to comment. Please read the notes in the sidebar below! BeeLikeJ@gmail.com

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

BOOK: The Female Eunuch - Germaine Greer

Title: The Female Eunuch
Author: Germaine Greer
Genre: Essay (on feminism)
Publisher: Harper Perennial 1970
Pages: Paperback, 371
Language: English
Rating: 8/10

Summary: When Germaine Greer's The Female Eunuch was first published it created a shock wave of recognition in women, one that could be felt around the world. It went on to become an international bestseller, and a landmark in the history of the women's movement. Positing that sexual liberation is the key to women's liberation, Greer looks at the inherent and unalterable biological differences between men and women as well as at the profound psychological differences that result from social conditioning.

Review
I stole the summary, because I couldn't find the words myself. I had wanted to read this book ever since I read the follow up The Whole Woman. That book analyses the invasive ways in which the health industry persuades women into having their bodies and reproductive systems "managed" and it infuriated me. So I had high expectations for the book that made Germaine Greer famous; the one that inspired women to make themselves be heard.

The language was sometimes a little too scientific for me and the amount of data and subjects is overwhelming, but even if some parts went over my head, I did recognize most of the situations Greer uses as examples. I found it to be an intriguing document of its time. It didn't so much make me angry as sad, because I realized it's not even dated yet on a lot of subjects.
To recommend this book and show how relevant it still is, I copied part of the foreword Germaine Greer wrote for the 21st Anniversary Edition. She talks about how much we seem to have achieved in the past twenty-odd years: it's now possible for women to compete in sports, run businesses and talk openly about sex and more. So...
"What more could women want?
Freedom, that's what.
Freedom from being the thing looked at rather than the person looking back. Freedom from self-consciousness. Freedom from the duty of sexual stimulation of jaded male appetite, for which no breast ever bulges hard enough and no leg is ever long enough. Freedom from the uncomfortable clothes that must be worn to titillate.[...]
The freedom I pleaded for twenty years ago was freedom to be a person, with the dignity, integrity, nobility, passion, pride that constitute personhood. Freedom to run, shout, to talk loudly and sit with your knees apart. [...] Freedom to learn and freedom to teach. Freedom from fear, freedom from hunger, freedom of speech and freedom of belief. Most of the women in the world are still afraid, still hungry, still mute and loaded by religion with all kinds of fetters, masked, muzzled, mutilated and beaten.
The Female Eunuch does not deal with poor women (for when I wrote it I did not know them) but with the women of the rich world, whose oppression is seen by poor women as freedom.
[...]
You can now see the female Eunuch the world over; all the time we thought we were driving her out of our minds and hearts she was spreading herself wherever blue jeans and Coca-Cola may go. Wherever you see nail varnish, lipstick, brassieres and high heels, the Eunuch has set up her camp. You can find her triumphant even under the veil."

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am trying to work out where someone called Katie Hopkins fits into the model described by Germaine Greer.

Ms Hopkins was born a few years after The Female Eunuch was first published, so the environment in which she grew may have reflected its influence.

In the past, she has made what some might have called quite "controversial" choices for a woman. She is now standing to be elected as a Member of the European Parliament (MEP) - but as an Independent; not as a member of a party. She is the only woman doing this in the UK in 2009.

You can find out about her, and her choices, on Wikipedia and if you search on Google. I would be interested in your thoughts.

Is she a Greerian 'feminist'? If not, how (for academic purposes) might she be classified at present?

May 24, 2009 at 11:54 PM

 
Blogger BeeLikeJ said...

What a strange request in response to my very lazy bookreview. I'm amazed anyone would think I'm knowledgable on the subject, based on this review. I doubt the 'academic' angle of your comment. It feels to me you are trying to accuse Ms Hopkins of not living up to your expectations. Whatever the purpose of your question: I have no interest in researching someone I have not heard of to find out whether she suits your idea of a 'Greerian Feminist', whatever that may be.

May 25, 2009 at 11:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you very much for this review! i'm currently working on a translation of a very difficult text into serbian and this review helps a lot!
anche@jotel.co.yu

September 4, 2009 at 4:09 PM

 
Blogger BeeLikeJ said...

You're welcome. Good luck with the translation-job.

September 5, 2009 at 8:29 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amiable dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.

January 18, 2010 at 10:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting article. I would love to follow you on twitter.

February 15, 2010 at 10:18 PM

 
Blogger BeeLikeJ said...

Anon 18/1: You're welcome:)

Anon 15/2: Tnx and go right ahead.

February 15, 2010 at 11:25 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home