My bookreviews and fanficrecommendations. You are welcome to comment. Please read the notes in the sidebar below! BeeLikeJ@gmail.com

Saturday, January 9, 2010

BOOK: Anything Goes - John Barrowman

Title: Anything Goes
Author: John Barrowman (with Carol E. Barrowman)
Genre: Autobiography
Publisher: Michael O'Mara Books Limited, 2008
Pages: 245, paperback
Language: English
Rating: 9/10
Summary: 40-ish actor/entertainer John Barrowman (Captain Jack Harkness on Doctor Who and Torchwood) talks about his dazzling life on stage, the (big) screen and behind the scenes.

Spoilerfree review
I'm always a bit apprehensive when a not-very-old person (shut up) decides to share his "life" story. Granted, me and John go way back: I was already a fan in his Children's BBC days in the early nineties, but I was wondering if he had enough to tell to justify an autobiography already.
When I saw his quest on The Making of Me in which he investigated whether being gay is innate at birth or acquired later in life, I was tempted to buy the book. But it wasn't until after I saw him on stage in La Cage Aux Folles and he made me cry with his performance of "I Am What I Am", that I couldn't ignore his book any longer.
I'm thrilled to say that his exuberant attitude translates to the page very well.
I dare anyone who hasn't fallen for John Barrowman yet to not be head over heels at the end of the first chapter. When he tells us about his response to the news that he was gonna be in Doctor Who, you can't help but smile and squee about his enthusiasm. The book takes off from there and John jumps back and forth in time to explain how he grew from pretty boy performer to leading man in Torchwood.
The book did slightly remind me of Rupert Everett's book 'Red Carpets And Other Banana Skins', but only because he and John are both actors from the same generation. The tone of both books is very different; unlike Rupert's bitchy account of showbiz, John focusses on the joy he finds in working with fellow thespians. Sure he can gossip like the best of them, but it's never spiteful (with exception of that one guy who was being a total bitch and had it coming). I'll take enthusiasm over bitterness anytime. John is of course surrounded by people who love him, but it's obvious he gives as good as he gets.
I loved this book and love John even more for not hiding anything. Even if he can get a little overwhelming, he is clearly not playing a part; he truely is as dazzling as his smile.

I hear there is already a sequel, I will definitely read that and whatever John writes next.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home