My bookreviews and fanficrecommendations. You are welcome to comment. Please read the notes in the sidebar below! BeeLikeJ@gmail.com

Saturday, January 9, 2010

BOOK: Dolfje Weerwolfje - Paul van Loon

Title: Dolfje Weerwolfje (Alfie The Werewolf*)
Author: Paul van Loon
Genre: Children, Fairytale
Publisher: Libris, 1996
Pages: 141, Hardcover
Language: Dutch (*English available in 2010!)
Rating: 8/10
Summary: On the eve of his seventh birthday something strange happens to Dolf; while he can't keep his eyes off the full moon he gets all furry and growly... He's turning into a werewolf!

Spoilerfree review
I still read children's/teen books even if I haven't been the target audience for a very long time. Paul van Loon is one of the most popular writers in the Netherlands and famous for his scary books for kids, but I had never read any of them. For Children's Bookweek his books have been released in a new hardcover-version and I finally bought one.

I was only ten lines in when I understood why he is loved so much.
His language is extremely funny and filled with throw-away thoughts that are very familiar. (Being scared and excited at the same time while staring at the moon, Dolf imagines the stars are shining especially bright just for his birthday:)
The book is written in short sentences and clearly aimed at children, but it never talks down to them. Dolf's adoptive family is not quite mainstream (his father likes to wear dresses) but this is not an issue. Although Dolf does worry that being a werewolf may be a step too far to be accepted.
I am a little sad that I feel too old to continue with the series. I was very satisfied with this introduction to Dolf and I'm sure kids who read it will want to have all the parts of the collection. And then continue with Paul van Loon's other books. If only I could be a kid again.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home