My bookreviews and fanficrecommendations. You are welcome to comment. Please read the notes in the sidebar below! BeeLikeJ@gmail.com

Sunday, April 17, 2011

BOOK: Het Dovemansorendieet - Maarten 't Hart

Title: Het Dovemansorendieet
Author: Maarten 't Hart
Genre: Biology, food
Publisher: De Arbeiderspers, 2007
Pages: Hardcover, 161
Language: Dutch
Rating: 5/10
Summary: Well known author, biologist and skinny man Maarten 't Hart talks about the sense and nonsense of diets, based on his own experience with food.

Spoilerfree review
I read Maarten 't Hart's novels in highschool and I remember them as being a little twisted. Add to that his biology background and I thought his food-book would offer an interesting view on loosing weight. But as it turns out Maarten's own opinion makes for a rather bitchy book, and not in a fun way. The food he himself is familiar with is not on the menu of the average person; it's all rather old fashioned and even elitist. At first I thought his tone of voice was meant to be sarcastic, but when he was rather nasty about fellow author/biologist Midas Dekker's book Physical Exercise (an awesome cynical anti-sports book I loved), I understood. He was actually serious about us going back to eating simple bran and vegetables from the Middle Ages. Good plan, Maarten, you stay skinny, I rather enjoy eating my food. Disappointing.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home