My bookreviews and fanficrecommendations. You are welcome to comment. Please read the notes in the sidebar below! BeeLikeJ@gmail.com

Sunday, April 17, 2011

BOOK: Tin Toeval - Guus Kuijer

Title: Tin Toeval en het Geheim van Tweebeens-eiland
Author: Guus Kuijer
Genre: Children's
Publisher: Wolters-Noordhoff, 2003
Pages: Paperback, 139
Language: Dutch
Rating:6,5/10
Summary: On a short trip across an Amsterdam canal, Tin Toeval's grandma falls in love with the ferryboat captain. The three of them set out to sea to find the treasure of pirate Hark the Shark....

Spoilerfree review
I had bought this for my neighbour's daughter's 9th birthday, but since I hadn't read it yet, I decided to keep it for myself (Hey, I couldn't risk giving her a book that was potentially unsuitable;) and I gave her a book from the same author: "Grown ups are best turned into soup".)
When I was young, I would devour Guus Kuijer's books; I loved the grown up tone of voice and funny but thoughtful dialogues. (I still do; last year I recommended his Book Of Everything)
Most of his books are about the day-to-day life of ordinairy kids, this book starts out the same, but in the second chapter it suddenly changes in some sort of fairytale. I found that very confusing and more than a little disappointing. I'm sure it's an enjoyable story, but it was too much of a fantasy for me.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home