My bookreviews and fanficrecommendations. You are welcome to comment. Please read the notes in the sidebar below! BeeLikeJ@gmail.com

Sunday, April 17, 2011

BOOK: Spiegeljongen - Floortje Zwigtman

Title: Spiegeljongen
Author: Floortje Zwigtman
Genre: Historical, gay, teens
Publisher: De Fontein, 2010
Pages: Hardcover, 607
Language: Dutch
Rating: 9/10
Spoilerfree summary: The final part in the 'Green Carnation'-trilogy about young Adrian in late 19th century London.
In part one Adrian is introduced into the flamboyant circle of Oscar Wilde and he finds work as an artist’s model. When London’s beau monde decamps to Europe for the summer holidays Adrian ends up without any income until he finds employment in a male brothel.
In part two things look up when Adrian can get back to work as a model and finds love in the arms of a painter. But when Oscar Wilde is convicted of "gross indecency" with other men, London becomes a very dangerous place for gay men and a lot of Adrian's friends decide to leave or go undercover.
In part three Adrian tries to deal with losing friends and finds himself in very dangerous company to travel to France.


Spoilerfree review
I reread the first two parts before I started in the final book; even if I had been waiting for that to be released since 2007(!). I was glad I did, because it was as pleasantly painful a journey as when I first read the books. Zwigtman writes in Dutch but has a way with words that makes it feel as if you are reading in English. The picture that is painted of London in Victorian times feels right, even if the characters speak Dutch.
Unlike the first two books this time Adrian's company seems a bit over the top, but since I know Zwigtman to do very extensive research (as is obvious by the long time we had to wait for book 3;) I fear even the crazy and evil people are probably real.
I thought Adrian had already suffered every possible heartache, but in this book he is really put through the wringer. He is even driven to a point when he is no longer the sympathetic lead of the story. And I still couldn't let him go. This was the roughest read so far, but thoroughly worth the wait.


The first two books are now available in German, I hope they will eventually be translated to English, because this is a must read for all my friends. More information and a sample in English can be found here.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home