My bookreviews and fanficrecommendations. You are welcome to comment. Please read the notes in the sidebar below! BeeLikeJ@gmail.com

Saturday, May 16, 2009

BOOK: Sneeuw - J. Bernlef

Title: Sneeuw (Snow)
Author: J. Bernlef
Genre: Family saga
Publisher: Salamander 1973
Pages: Paperback, 126
Language: Dutch
Rating: 7,5/10

Summary: Jan Razelius is lying in the hospital after barely surviving a car-crash in which his wife died. He doesn't remember what happened, although every time he comes near the place of the accident memories come floating back. But he still can't make sense of it even after he is discharged and gets back home in care of his daughter An and nurse Margaretha. Jan tries to go on living as best as he can, he even starts a physical -but not emotional- relationship with Margaretha. She stays with him after he is healthy again. But Jan never really gets over his wife. Daughter An is the spitting image of her mom and he gets more and more confused about his feelings for her.

Spoilerfree and therefore slightly cryptic review
This was the third book of Bernlef on my bookpile of 2008, after I succesfully ignored his work ever since his bestseller Out Of Mind was read by everyone in highschool. But when I read the Dutch bookweek-present The Pianoman which he wrote last year, I got addicted to his comfortable way of telling a story. So after reading that I finally put the aforementioned Out Of Mind on my readinglist. I borrowed it from my mom together with this older book 'Snow'.
This story is rather awkward in comparison with the other two books I read. Jan Razelius is clearly very unhappy and can't get a grip on his life anymore. He feels guilty about the accident and is aware he's neither a good lover nor a good father to the women who take care of him. What happens when his thoughts finally spin out of control doesnt' really come as a surprise. Although his actions may be understandable, they certainly aren't acceptable to both the protagonist as well as the reader. This book left me feeling sad and a little disgusted. I imagine that is what Jan felt too. Read at your own risk.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home